HSE Guide MR1 “Mixing 2 Pack Paint Containing Isocyanate”
This HSE Guide/Information sheet will help employers, the self-employed and franchisees to comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (CoSHH), as amended, to control exposure to Isocyanates and protect workers’ health.
This sheet describes good practice using General Ventilation.
It covers the points you need to follow to reduce exposure to an adequate level. It is important to follow all the points, or use equally effective measures.
‘Isocyanate’ means all isocyanate-based two-pack products. It may be described as ‘prepolymer’. This still contains active isocyanate. Main points:
- Keep exposures as low as possible using all the controls in this sheet.
- Get safety data sheets – consider using safer substitutes.
- Use health surveillance for asthma and dermatitis.
- See HSE Guidance sheets G402 and G403
- Also see HSE Guidance sheet MR0.