Have you ever heard of ‘Phil the Welder’?
Phil, a welder from Sheffield, developed the symptoms of Occupational Asthma when he was about 35, after working for 20 years. When diagnosed, the Doctor said it was Occupational Asthma because of exposure to welding fume.
Unfortunately, Phil’s is not an isolated case; the statistics released from the HSE annually continue to show staggering numbers of work-related respiratory disease. 36,000* people who worked during 2015/2016, plus 141,000 who have ever worked, are experiencing breathing or lung problems they think can be attributed to or compounded by work, with 14,000* new cases a year.
Phil’s situation is debilitating, and one that we, at Drake Lapthorn, hope to help you prevent happening to your employees or your client’s employees.
The installation of an LEV system can help reduce the severity or prevent work-related respiratory disease, the completion of workplace exposure monitoring can demonstrate if it is working.
Drake Lapthorn provides services that determine operator exposure levels to hazardous substances by taking a measurement of the hazardous substance in the air that the operator is ‘breathing in’ whilst undertaking the task.
Workplace Exposure Monitoring will establish whether the operator is being exposed to hazardous substances generated when undertaking work, at what level exposure is being experienced and whether these are below the appropriate workplace exposure limit.
Workplace Exposure Monitoring is undertaken for numerous reasons:
- It is good practice to determine if controls in place, including LEV, are protecting operators and to what extent.
- Identifying operations or tasks that may need further controls put in place, i.e. the installation of LEV.
- Establishing a level of exposure that an LEV system, once installed, should provide to the operators.
- Part of a routine Health Surveillance Program
- To check the operator exposure level is below the workplace exposure limit for the substance.
- Because the HSE wants you too…………
If you need assistance at your own premises, or that of a client, to establish operator exposure to hazardous substances please contact us via 01295 298469 or email@example.com
Check out our website, www.drakelapthorn.co.uk for details on the range of services we offer to SME’s, including Health and Safety guidance, Health and Safety Training, Legionella Risk Assessments and Noise Assessments.
* Data from HSE Work-related respiratory disease in Great Britain 2016, published November 2016.