HSE EH44 Dust in the Workplace – General Principles of Protection
Dust in the workplace general principles of protection
This environmental hygiene guidance note describes how to control exposure 1 to dust at work to avoid ill health. It will help you understand what you need to do to comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) and gives advice on the precautions that may be needed to prevent or adequately control exposure.
- Where is dust likely to occur?
- Do you have a problem with dust at work?
- What are the effects on health? Inhalation Skin contact Eye contact Ingestion
- What the law says
- Workplace exposure limits (WELs)
- COSHH assessment
- Prevention and control of exposure Prevention
- Washing facilities
- Information, instruction and training
- Emergency procedures
- Health surveillance
- Worker involvement